You just can’t beat this 50+ year old recipe. Thanks Mom!
2 c. flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
3 ripe mashed bananas*
3 Tbsp. water
1/2 c. vegetable shortening
1 c. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 c. chopped toasted walnuts or pecans (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degree.
2. Sift together flour, soda, and salt. Set aside.
3. Mix bananas and water together. Set aside.
4. Beat together shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla. Beat well.
5. Add dry ingredients alternately with banana mixture to shortening and sugar mixture, mixing well after each addition until smooth. Fold in nuts if desired.
6. Pour into a greased loaf pan and bake for about 1 hr and 15 mins., testing for doneness when a inserted toothpick comes out clean.
7. Cool completely on a wire rack.
*Bananas freeze well! Throw them into your freezer (skins on) until you are ready to use. I think that freezing intensifies the flavor. Defrost before using.